Friday, August 27, 2010

Dolphin The Fish aka Mahi Mahi

It's friday nite,  and I didnt put much thought into tonite's dinner. We recently made a trip to Trader Joe's and as always bought some very cool food items. We did purchase some frozen Mahi Mahi Burgers. The ingredient list was pretty natural and healthy. The Nutritional values were also good. One burger is 110 calories, 1 total carbohydrate, 0 sugars and only 5grams of  fat. I thought I would throw them on the grill and whip together some Mango salsa. I posted the recipe for my mango salsa in a previous blog post. I also used some of my Togarashi spice on the Mahi burger to add some heat.  Instead of hamburger rolls I used nice whole wheat Arnold sandwhich thins and toasted the thins on the grill.  Topped the burger with the Mango salsa and done. I made a delicious  salad of Arugula, sliced red onion, garden tomatoes and some strawberries I had. I wanted a nice lite dressing so I made a Mango/Orange Chili vinaigrette. I have this great Mango Chili vinegar also from Trader Joe's.
Mango Chili Vinaigrette
1/2 cup mango chili vinegar
1-2 tbs olive oil
splash of orange juice ( I use the 50% less calories and sugar )
salt and fresh cracked black pepper
Using my Braun handmixer I added the olive oil to the vinegar in a slow and steady stream so it would emulsify. Or you can whisk it until it emulsifies.  It is a nice lite vinaigrette to add to any summer salad. If I hadnt of used red onion in my salad, I would have added half a chopped shallot to the vinaigrette. It was a nice lite summer supper. There was some juice from the strawberries that I added to the vinaigrette at the last minute. I tossed the salad with the dressing before serving. Just enough dressing to coat the greens but not too much to drown them. I try to eat fish twice a week. Mahi, Halibut, Tuna  and Chilean Sea Bass are among my favorite fish. I like many others but for some reason I never tire of eating these.  The Dolphin Fish as Mahi Mahi is known, is one pretty, colorful yet weird looking fish.  We used to get fresh whole Mahi's delivered a couple times a week when I worked on Fire Island.  Thank goodness for me, the other Chef would pretty much filet it, all I had to do was prepare it and cook it. I think I ate Mahi several times a week my first summer living and working on Fire Island. The second summer there I ate Lobster just as often! LOL It was a good life! and I ate not only well but healthy too!

No comments: