Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sloppy Jose's

Tonight we are serving up some Tex-Mex Sloppy Joe's. Found the recipe on one of my many Diabetic E-News letters. Trying to limit my intake of Red meats, I decided to go with some ground Turkey. Ground Turkey a nice lean protein makes this a nice low fat meal. I am always looking for new ways to use ground turkey. Its a fairly inexpensive lean meat and very versatile. You can pretty much substitute it for any ground meat recipe. I have already made a BlackBean and Corn salad for my side dish. Another low fat, protein filled dish.

Tex Mex Sloppy Joe's:

2 tsp oil ( canola )
2 med onions chopped
1 med green bell pepper
1/2 cup whole kernal corn ( today I am using frozen but would normally roast off some corn on the cob )
2 cloves garlic
1 jalepeno finely chopped
1 lb ground turkey or ground beef
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
3/4 cup ketchup
4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
6 rolls ( WHOLE WHEAT )
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, corn, garlic, and jalepeno chili. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in ground turkey, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cook for 10 minutes until turkey is no longer pink. Stir in ketchup and worcestershire sauce and simmer on low for 30 min. I cook it alot longer than necessary to really concentrate the flavors. Divide mixture among rolls and enjoy. Remember, life is full of tasty morsels.....
PS- Sorry I forgot to take a pic!

No comments: