Monday, August 23, 2010

Chili Today and Hot tonite

Rainy days and Mondays always get me down? Not today though. Its a cool, rainy 71degrees here in Hauppauge NY. Thats a pleasure for me since I have not really enjoyed our hot and sunny summer. No beach and no pool. I cant wait until Autumn is here and the weather warrants an open window and a sheet at night.  And,  upon weighing myself this morning after a week of watching what I was eating and trying to choose the healthier items, I lost 3 lbs. A far cry from last time gaining 2.5 lbs after following the Nutritionist's instructions.  I needed to see a couple of pounds lost just to give me the confidence and the incentive to keep doing the right thing. 3lbs isnt The Biggest Loser numbers, but its a ton in my eyes.  Deciding that I could do another week of watching what I eat and making good choices I decided to make some Turkey Chili with the ground turkey I took out last nite.  I dont normally like eating chili or soups and stews in the summertime, but today is not feeling much like a summer day. Hearty bowl of some Turkey chili and some brown rice sounds tasty and filling to me.

Chef Michele's Turkey Chili
1 lb ground turkey
1 med onion diced
3 med size peppers- any color- I like yellow red AND green ( gives nice color to the chili )
2 small yellow squash- seeds removed and small diced
1 clove garlic chopped
2 cans White cannellini beans rinsed and drained
1 tsp cumin
2 tbs unsweetened cocao  or 2 tbs cocoa chili powder spice
1 tsp chipotle chili powder
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tsp fresh chopped oregano
1 large can diced tomatoes ( I used Pomi in the carton )
1/2 tsp sea or kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 small jalepeno chili ( diced small with seeds and vein removed )

In a saute pan, in 1 tbs of olive oil or canola oil, brown ground turkey until lightly golden.  Set aside. In a saucepan, add 1 tsp oil ( olive or veg ) and saute onions and garlic until translucent. About 5 min. Add diced peppers, yellow sqash, beans, tomatoes,jalepeno and spices. Stir well. Cook on very low for about an hour. It will cook down alot. Taste and season accordingly. I prefer a spicier chili so I may add more chili powder. I let this sit on the stove for a couple of hours at a very low temperature. The flavors meld together and concentrate as the chili cooks down. With Turkey you need to season the meat more than other meats. Experiment! Add things you like or just want to try. Try adding some corn and some chicken stock and make a turkey chili soup. Cocao is a secret ingredient of mine. Chocolate and Chili's go together sooo well. The sweet offsets the spicy hot of the chili. Mmmm. Serve the chili with homemade tortilla chips instead of brown rice. Cut up tortillas into triangular slices and bake in oven at 350degrees for a few minutes until golden brown. If you can afford the carbs, serve the chili in a hot bread bowl. You can buy a small sourdough or even a whole wheat round loaf, slice the top off and take out the soft bread from inside. Serve the chili inside the bowl. I will probably do that when the cold weather comes. Will have to find a whole wheat bread or make my own. So many possibilities. Pick a cool nite and I guarantee you will be toasty warm!
PS- I am trying to find a new sign off that suits me..any ideas will be greatly appreciated and considered! LOL but until then......Life is full of tasty morsels..try some!

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I think I may have to try this one too!
I love ground turkey. I will eliminate the hot chile pepper though...LOL!

How'bout...

"Here's cookin atcha!"

Good for you ...losing the pounds!

ChefMichele said...

thanks Barbara!! I love spicy sooo I tend to make it a little spicier for myself! It was really yummy! Not bad....@ here's cookin atcha. I was tryin to think of something that adds the healthy cooking and eating I am trying to work into my life. But we shall see! xo