Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Unsweetened Sweets!

Last Christmas I asked for a Cuisinart Ice Cream/Frozen Yogurt maker. I have used it a few times, but not as often as I should have. Today I decided I was going to make a frozen treat for dessert. I had a large bag of frozen mixed berries in the freezer and last weekend when I went food shopping, I picked up some plain low fat yogurt thinking about making some frozen yogurt.

Mixed Berry Frozen Yogurt
12oz bag frozen mixed berries( set aside 1/2 cup berries for later) ...thawed, pureed and strained to remove seeds.
2 cups lowfat plain yogurt ( or vanilla )
1/2 fat free milk
1 tsp sugar substitute if wanted
In mixing bowl, combine yogurt, milk, berry puree and sugar substitute. Mix well. Follow directions for your icecream maker with regards to freezing your bowl. Turn ice cream maker on and pour yogurt berry mixture into freezer bowl through the ingredient spout. Let mix until thickened approximately 25-30 minutes. Optional: 2 hours in freezer to "ripen" ( set up ). Serve and eat! MMmmmm delicious! Note: the recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar. Being Diabetic now I will not add sugar to this kind of dessert. I did add some splenda, but only to cut some of the tartness of the berries.

No comments: