Sunday, November 1, 2009

Crisp Autumn Days


Today was a crisp autumn day, in many ways...I figured I would help mom cook dinner tonite since I knew she wasnt feeling well. I whipped up some sausage and peppers ( I can prep alot faster than she can ) and decided since she had bought some nice apples to make an Apple Cranberry Crisp. I have made this dessert numerous times and change it up to suit my mood. Sometimes I use pears, sometimes pears and apples sometimes just apples. I had some fresh cranberries in the freezer and decided to add the tart cranberries to the sweet apples. They just came out of the oven with a few minutes to rest and cool enough to eat...topped with whipped cream and mmmmmm what a yummy fall dessert.

Michele's Apple Cranberry Crisp

5 cups peeled and sliced apples
1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup sugar
2 Tbs flour
2 tsp orange zest
1 tsp cinnamon

Crisp topping-
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/4 cup softened butter
1/3 cup flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Combine apples, cranberries, sugar, flour, cinnamon and orange zest.
Put into greased ( use canola spray or butter ) individual ramekins or 9x9 baking dish, and make sure to overfill the ramekins as the apples will cook down. To make crisp topping mix remaining ingredients ( brown sugar, rolled oats, butter, and flour ) using your hands until its nice and crumbly. Sprinkle over apple cranberry mixture and bake for 45-55 minutes. Topping should be crispy and golden brown and cranberries should burst inside the mix. Let cool for a few minutes, it should still be warm to serve,and top with your favorite topping. Vanilla Icecream is good as is fresh whipped cream. Its one of my favorite fall desserts for a few years now and can be prepped ahead of time and cooking while you are eating dinner. Just make sure if you prepare it ahead, to take out of refrigerator and letting it get to room temperature before baking it. Hope you try it...I know you will like it.
Remember...May all your bites be tasty!

No comments: