Wednesday, November 25, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things...Part 2


I love food! I love cooking! I love eating the food I cook! Most of all I love cooking for people I love and love them loving my food! These are definitely my favorite things. I decided to make this blog post in 2 parts. Hopefully as to not bore you.
My fathers crepes are probably the most favorite thing that I cook, not only because it brings back all the best memories of my childhood but because it really is my most favorite breakfast food. Crepe nite was usually after the beach in the summer, but sometimes for special occasion breakfasts. My dad never measured anything, never looked at a recipe and made too many to count. I have tried countless numbers of crepe recipes over the years and think this is the one that seems closest to my memory of them. My brothers both agree. My dad past away 35 years ago this week, But through his crepes among many other things he will live on! Thank you Daddy!!I love you and miss you. This one's for you. I would like to think he is proud of me for carrying on the tradition!

Daddy's ( Armand Lessard's ) Crepes

2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup flour
3 Tbs melted butter
2 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla or 2 Tbs favorite liquor ( I use this when I am making dessert crepes )

Whisk eggs, add milk, water, vanilla, and melted butter. Add sugar and mix until sugar is dissolved. Combine flour until batter is lump free. I do this all by hand. Batter will be thin. It is NOT like pancake batter.
Heat your crepe or omelette pan on medium heat. For some reason even if I use a nonstick crepe pan I still brush the pan with Crisco. I use a paper towel to remove excess crisco. Using a ladle I pour about half a ladle into the pan and immediately swirl the batter to cover the bottom of the pan. Dont worry if at first you dont succeed. You will eventually get the hang of it. Flip the crepe over when it seems to be a light golden brown. You want just a touch of color on the crepe. You can put them in a warm oven until you are ready to serve. I make the entire batter before serving. I also triple the batter for 4 adults. I forgot to count the amount of servings I made ( sorry guys ). I had 4 crepes, my brother, neice and nephew had more than that.
To serve I usually roll up the crepe and pour 100% maple syrup on top. Thats how my dad served them. My brother stuffed his with cinnamon buns then rolled them and topped with maple syrup. You can use powdered sugar, whipped cream or any favorite topping. Most of all Enjoy!!

I also made Fiesta Salad. This was always a dessert when I was growing up. Easy to make and delicious. My brother asked for it, so I had to email our aunt to get the recipe. Funny, all these years I dont know if I had ever made it before.

Fiesta Salad

1 8oz cream cheese
1 large can fruit cocktail
1 package mini marshmallows
1 pint heavy cream - whipped

Drain the can of fruit cocktail and add liquid to the cream cheese to blend. I used the LIGHT fruit cocktail so the juice was less syrupy and less calories. Add the fruit and mini marshmallows. Fold in the whipped cream and mix well. I used a disposable aluminum lasagna pan. Cover and freeze. Remove from freezer and allow to almost completely thaw. Serve with slightly frozen texture. Thanks Ama and Aca!

If I ever opened my own restaurant, it would most likely only serve comfort food. Food I grew up with, food I always come home for and food that never seems to change!
May all your bites be tasty...or as my brother Scott suggested....." Bite Me" !!!

No comments: