Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Swedish Chef?

I am slowly getting back into the kitchen.....although I have not prepared anything from scratch....I am still using food that was made and frozen before my surgery. Last night was Swedish Meatballs. My swedish meatballs puts Ikea's to shame and I used to love Ikea's. I found Alton Brown's recipe the best although I have revised the preparation of them. Since I make a double recipe and cook the meatballs to freeze in bags of 50, I prefer it my way. I revised the recipe a tad more since mom is watching what she eats...so I didnt make the sauce with heavy cream as I normally do. It was rich and thick and just as yummy without the fat heavy cream will add. Served over a cup of whole wheat noodles- 8 meatballs ( 4oz ) came to a WW new Point total of 9.
Swedish Meatballs by Alton Brown as revised by Chef Michele Lessard
Ingredients:
2 slices fresh white bread
1/4 cup milk
1 tbs butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
A pinch plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 pound ground chuck
3/4 pound ground pork
2 large egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
For sauce
3 tbs butter
3 tbs flour
2 cups beef broth
Tear up bread and put into bowl. Add milk. Let sit. In saute pan - use 1 tbs butter and add onions to sweat. Add a pinch of salt. Set aside and let cool. In a mixing bowl, add meat, eggs, spices and onions. Mix well. You can use a mixer for this or mix by hand. Add soaked bread. Combine. Using a scale or a 1oz icecream scoop...roll out 1oz meatballs...after cooking they will weigh less. Place on sheet pan lined with parchment and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 min. Until nicely browned. Let cool and freeze until ready to use.
To make the sauce- take the 3 tbs of butter and melt in saute pan. Add 3 tbs flour and mix well. This is your roux. Let it cook while consistently stirring or whisking for about 3min. You want to cook the raw flour out. Slowly add the beef stock while whisking and sauce will thicken. Let sauce come to a simmer and add meatballs when you have reached desired consistency. ( you can always take another tbs of flour and butter and make a little dough out of it and add to the sauce to thicken. ) Heat meatballs through and serve over Noodles.

No comments: