Sunday, March 25, 2012

Grandma's Molasses Cookies in March

This weekend was a NYC ( Queens ) Half Marathon. My brother Scott who lives in Texas came up to run it for the first of 3 half-marathons he will be running this year. He is hoping to raise enough money for World Vision to build a much needed water well. Fortunately for us, he brought my neice Cassie with him to join some of the family at the finish line cheering him on. Those of us who could not make the race, were happy to join the after-race festivities at Ama's. ( our Aunt in Bayside ) Since I only get to see my neice a couple times a year, I thought I would make something special for her. I decided to call her and ask her what she would like most, but to keep it a secret from her father. I named a couple of things I know she and my brother LOVE, but when Molasses cookie came up, she could hardly contain herself. I was told at Christmas time, that it was her most favorite cookie. ( I sent a small container of my Christmas cookies in the package with gifts for the holidays ) Of course with her excitement overwhelming me, I said I would make them. The best batch I have EVER made. For some reason they came out PERFECT. They rose up and fell perfectly making the most beautiful cracks. Tasted as good as they looked. I packed them all up and delivered them to my neice. She was in heaven! I hope some make it back to Texas with her tommorow! So here is my recipe.....Hope you enjoy them as much as Cassie does. ( Ciao Bella Icecream published the recipe on their blog when they heard how well they go with their Tahitian Vanilla Ice Cream )

Grandma's Molasses Cookies by Chef Michele
Ingredients:
8 tbs molasses ( 1/2 cup )
2 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups butter unsalted
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
4 cups flour
4 tsp baking soda
Beat butter and sugar til mixed well. Add eggs and molasses. combine. Add all dry ingredients and mix until well combined...do not overmix.
Refrigerate batter until very cold. Roll into small balls....I use a 1 oz icecream scoop.....make a ball and roll into sugar to coat. Put on parchment lined sheet pan and bake 350 degrees  for approximately 10-13 minutes. Take out of oven and let cool on sheet pan for 1 min. Take off and let cool on rack. Store in tin or plastic container or Freeze. I also make the dough ahead and freeze it in half batches for easy access.

No comments: