Thursday, January 15, 2009

I'm not getting older, I'm gettin better?


Its really quite amusing when you sit and think about it. When we were kids, we would listen to our parents ( and that generation ) speak about things, saying to us " wait until you're our age" and we would laugh. Guess what? I am that age now. I am 47 and quite proud of it. I dont think I look as old as I am, I definitely enjoy life more at this age, and I dont think of myself as 47. In my daily routine, certain things remind me how old I really am. Last month I received a notice about my 30 year HS reunion. 30 Years??? Last weekend we celebrated my son Paul and my cousin JP's birthdays. Paul just turned 27 and my cousin will be 39 in a week. 27??? How can that be? He was just Paul4 for those of you who remember that year. He liked HeMan cartoons, micromachines, and cheese macaroni. Of course he still likes the cheese mac, but he has outgrown Care Bears and Topsiders. I still think of him as my baby, although I wont say that to his face and fortunately he doesnt read my blog. At least I dont think he does. I look at my neices and nephews and my cousins kids who all call me Aunt Michele, and ask myself if its possible I am that old now. No it cant be true. I look at my brothers who as of this coming may, will all both be in their 40's now, and think to myself, we were just kids. Even my cute little cousin Jeanine, who adored me when I was a teenager, is all grown up with a family of her own. I was at her house yesterday, as she was coloring my hair ( taking the grey out ) , and I playing with her youngest. It blows me away since I feel like it was yesterday I was playing with her like that. I have to admit, some days I feel like I am 97 not 47, after a 10 hour work day sorting and putting away deliveries, but for the most part I still think of myself as young. Am I, Are WE, getting older not better? Or are we getting better as we get older? I would like to think the latter is true, and until I have to believe otherwise, thats how I will think of myself. Its a rhetorical question so please dont comment with an answer ....I prefer staying in dark for now. I am practing for when the dementia sets in.

2 comments:

The Jon-Paul Lessards! said...

Jon-Paul is only 38 this year. The BASTARD!

ChefMichele said...

HAHAHAHA ok JP I apologize for skipping a year. Could have sworn your wife told me you were going to be 39!! lol