Wednesday, July 16, 2008

And the RocketFuels red glare......



I survived 4th of July weekend here on Fire Island. Everyone was warning me how busy we would be, I believe to encourage me both mentally and physically. The weather was great, people were arriving by the boat load, and we were prepped to the max. The town has a parade every year and the floats are made up by the community from their wagons. The kids had a ball, the adults drank alot of Rocket fuels ( the island drink of choice ) and I cooked my butt off. I am now officially an ala carte Chef. One of the reasons I took this job was to gain that experience in my culinary career. Not to sure if I want to pursue it further than this summer but I am loving the experience. By sunday nite I was completely and utterly exhausted. I couldnt wait for my day off on tuesday. My mom came out to FI with her husband and spent monday after the holiday weekend here. She spent a few hours on the beach and then came to my restaurant for lunch. I dont let my mom look at the menu and she allows me to order and cook for her. She started off with my Stuffed Fried artichokes with Roasted garlic tomato aioli. Then I prepared her a Mahi Mahi sandwich, with mango salsa on a rustica roll. I also sent out a Rum Maple glazed Salmon on spinach salad. She was impressed !! LOL She stayed at a cute little B & B so we could spend my day off together. I have vowed my days off will NOT be spent here at my restaurant at all. We spent the day at the beach, came back n changed, walked around town shopping in the little family run stores ( Angie would love it here ) and then went to an early supper at The Island Mermaid restaurant on the bay. Overlooking the water, we ordered Pomegranite Margaritas and ate the best Fried Calamari I have ever had. Lobster rolls as the entree oh sooo yummy. Now understand being a Chef here in town in one of the 9 restaurants we have, we pretty much all know each other. I seem to be treated especially well when I go out. Service and Food were both amazing, and for some reason people ( in this case my mom ) seem to be impressed with the special treatment I do get. Needless to say, my mom is proud of me. In all honesty, I am too!! I cant wait for the rest of you hop on the ferry and come see my little summer home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Save a date in August. Whenever YOU are being treated well with food, it means I am treated well with food.

I'll just have to replace Hurricanes for Rocket Fuels. I can handle that.

ChefMichele said...

Already spoke to AMA, since my days off are usually tuesdays, we are planning on her and Cassie to come out that day. Beach and lunch and some shopping. Would love for you to join us. Hope you have a little time from your work to make it. I love sharing my special treatment and GOOD food with my loved ones.