Friday, June 8, 2012

Do it " Once a week"

I have over 100 cookbooks and at least that many issues of different Culinary magazines on the bookcases in my bedroom. The picture to the right is only one bookcase with only some of the cookbooks and none of the magazines. That is not including the binder I have with recipes I have printed out from online searches or from friends. There has to be at least 500 pages in there. Let me not forget the approximately 150 emails saved in a folder of recipes from different food blogs or sites I have yet to print out. Then of course we have the shelf of cookbooks my mother has in the den on her bookcase. That's alot of recipes. I made a vow to my mother that at least once a week I would cook a recipe from one of the many cookbooks. I think we do a pretty good job of doing that. I try to revise most of the recipes to make them either Diabetic friendly which in turn becomes healthier and better for anyone who may be following Weight Watchers in the house. I pretty much plan the menu out for the week, as I am food shopping, although sometimes we just buy things that look good. Especially when it comes to fresh produce. Mom saw some nice looking smaller and thinner Eggplants when we were produce shopping the other day. She bought them and said she would cook them. Ha!! Although she did pull out a Vegetarian cookbook of hers and found the recipe, I revised the recipe and did the cooking.
Eggplant Boats recipe from the Vegetarian and Vegetable Cooking cookbook by Christine Ingram  revised by Chef Michele

Ingredients:
1 cup brown rice
3 small size eggplants halved lengthwise
1 red onion chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 small green pepper chopped * I substituted 1 each mini red/yellow/orange pepper
½ cup sliced mushrooms
3 tbs olive oil
½ cup cheddar cheese grated * I omitted the cheddar cheese
1 egg beaten * I omitted the egg
½ tsp marjoram * I substituted 1 tsp fresh oregano and 1 tsp fresh mint leaves from my garden
Salt and pepper to taste
Cook the rice as directed and let cool. Scoop the flesh out of the from the eggplant and chop. Blanch the shells in boiling water for 2 minutes then drain upside down. Saute the chopped eggplant, onion, garlic, pepper and mushrooms in the oil for 10 minutes. Mix the rice and the eggplant mixture with the cheese, egg and spices. Arrange the eggplant in the shells in an ovenproof dish. Spoon the mixture into the shells. Heat oven to 375 degrees and bake for 25 minutes until the filling is golden brown.

No comments: