Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day Morsels

I know its been a long time since my last blog. So many things have been going on in my life. I pretty much post all my food pics and recipes on my Michele's Morsels Facebook page. Thats going to change. I think I need to get back to blogging and sharing it on my FB page instead of posting there. Memorial Day weekend is a weekend for Rememberance.  I am remembering my love of all things food. No matter what goes on in my life, the one constant that makes me happy is cooking. Feeding people I love and making people happy with my food. New recipes, old recipes, revised recipes.....it doesnt matter. I love the planning, the prepping, the cooking, the eating and even the cleaning up. I have been recovering from a double hip replacement as most of you know. The first few weeks were difficult as I couldnt cook as I had liked. Although preparing for a few weeks of being disabled, I prepared several meals and froze them pre-op. This way, we were able to pull out some food and basically have my home cooking. Worked out well! I have been getting stronger and stronger although I am still having some major difficulties and some issues, but I am in the kitchen basically every day. I need to take lots of breaks and rests but I am there. It really is what makes me happy. This weekend could have only been better if we could have had some company. I LOVE cooking for other people, whether its a gourmet recipe or something as simple as even tonite's supper of grilled hotdogs, knishes, and baked beans  are, its done with love and passion. I of course made my fabulous NY Dirty Water Dog Onions to top off the Sabrett Hotdogs. I got creative for lunch and made my signature Chicken wings on the grill....threw together some yummy vegetable Summer rolls and a homemade dipping sauce and a leftover garden salad.
Recipe for Chef Michele's NY Dirty Water Dog Onions

3 large onions sliced thin, 1 small can tomato sauce, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 tsp mustard (spicy brown), 2 tsp worcestshire sauce, 1-3 dash hot sauce to taste ( I added 3 today ), 1 t...sp crushed red pepper, 1 tsp crushed dried oregano. Occasionally I add a tbs of brown sugar splenda blend for a little sweetness....
Cook onions in drizzle of olive oil until translucent and soft. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Cook until sauce thickens and onions are done. Top this on a hot dog (or whatever you prefer) and  "Forgettaboutit you are in NY! Enjoy!!"

No comments: