Sunday, November 21, 2010

Christmas time is near...WHOOPIE

Its time to start getting ready for the holidays. That means lots of cookie dough and baking. I decided last year to add a couple of new cookies to my list of Christmas baking. This year after a few Test Kitchen recipes, I finally got my new 2010 Christmas cookie. Although I wont only be making it for Christmas...its absolutely delicious and quite easy to make. Whoopieeeeeeeeeee! or should I say Red Velvet Whoopie Pie! The recipe calls for Peppermint Cream cheese filling, but I decided to omit the peppermint. I may make some with the peppermint filling for Christmas as requested by a couple of people, but I am very happy without it. 

Red Velvet Whoopie Pies:
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbs unsweetened cocao powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 cup buttermilk
red food coloring
Cream cheese filling ( recipe below )
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line sheet pan with parchment paper. In large bowl, beat butter with brown sugar until smooth. add cocao powder baking soda and salt. Beat until combined. Beat in egg and vanilla until well mixed. Alternately add flour and buttermilk. ( I use a powdered buttermilk, easier to mix what I need when I need it ). Add red food coloring ( I used the paste kind ). Spoon dough from rounded measuring teaspoon and place 2 inches apart on sheet pan. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Make sure you do NOT underbake, as the cookies will fall if you do. Cool on sheet pan for 2 min then transfer to wire rack to cool. Spread cream cheese filling on flat side of one cookie and top with another cookie, to make sandwich. flat sides together. Serve cookies immediately after assembly. I baked the cookies and froze them- they thaw quickly and are perfect to do ahead.
makes about 40 cookies- to store after baking if you dont freeze, layer cookies between sheets of parchment or wax paper in airtight container. Store in refrigerator for 3 days, let stand at room temp for 15 minutes before serving.

Cream Cheese Filling:
6 oz of cream cheese room temp
3 tbs butter softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1-3 tsp milk
1/2 tsp peppermint extract if wanted.
Whip cream cheese until smooth and airy, add butter and mix until well incorporated. Add powdered sugar slowly until mixed and creamy. Add milk 1 tsp at a time until spreading consistency.
And there you have it.......My new favorite vintage classic cookie! Your going to love them! Remember, Life is full of tasty morsels!!

No comments: